Smiling is an art form that many do not choose to display based on how they feel. A smile is beautiful on the face of any person and has a greater effect than makeup. (I will keep it real and add that makeup does enhance the smile!) Yes, it is true that a genuine smile is generated by happy thoughts, events, and feelings. How do you smile when so many things happening around you have the propensity to take your smile, happiness, positive thoughts and joy? I’m so glad you asked!
Consider it nothing but joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you fall into various trials.
(James 1:2 Amplified Bible)
The greatest test of my faith did not come alone as I received the doctor’s report of cancer. At the same time, I received the news that I did not get the promotion I had worked so hard for, I was thousands of miles from my family and one of my boys was even hospitalized. You want to know what biting the lemon rind tastes like, chewing it and swallowing it…let me explain!
I made an extremely difficult decision to respond opposite of what I was seeing. It is called walking by faith and not by sight (see Hebrews 11:1). It was deliberate and with purpose.
An interesting fact is that lemons have spectacular cleansing properties. Use your lemons to clean areas in your life stained by adversity.
Below is my recipe to turn those lemons into lemonade:
- Choosing the Container– use one that is clear for transparency/testimony.
- Inspecting the Lemons– observe the situation.
- Squeezing the Lemons– What am I going to get out of this?
- Adding Water– God is the living water…His word and how it applies.
- Measuring the Sugar– determining what to add to balance the tartness of the lemons; friends, support groups, family – above all relationship with God.
- Tasting the Lemonade– Faith! Believing that you have balanced the flavors of sour and sweet!
- Serving the Lemonade– encouraging others!
We are not promised a life that does not have trials and afflictions. However, we are promised that God will deliver us from those afflictions. If life keeps throwing you lemons follow the above recipe and watch your smile reappear! Your genuine smile will turn the lemonade pink…removing all bitterness, replacing it with joy!